Why store clothes in a storage unit?
Capsule wardrobes, sustainable fashion swaps and consumers becoming more aware of the effects fast fashion are having on the environment are popular topics of conversation right now. But despite an increasing number of people being more conscious of the clothes they are buying most of us still have a lot of clothes (not to mention footwear).
Many of us are guilty of not even knowing what we have in our wardrobes!
When storing clothes, it is important that it is done properly to ensure they come out of storage in the same condition they were initially stored in.
Xtra Space is here to help you store your clothes correctly, preventing damage to your stored clothes to ensure they stay intact, fresh and in good condition.
First, you need to decide whether you are storing your clothes short term or long term.
Short Term Storage
You might use clothing storage to store your clothes in the short term if:
- You are doing a renovation
- Moving properties and unsure where you are going to fit everything
- Some of our customers even organise their closet space by packing and putting their clothes in temporary storage depending on the season. Summer clothes are usually only worn for a few months of the year if we are lucky (in Northern Ireland, we are lucky to get a few weeks of good weather each year!).
Long Term Storage
There are many reasons why you might consider storing your clothes for longer periods of time, some of the most common customer reasons we have come across are:
- Customers outgrowing the sizes of their homes and the space they have available to store clothes
- People storing clothes that no longer fit their children but might be able to be passed down to the next generation
- Emigrating to another country for a year or more and wanting to keep clothes safe while travelling/working away from home.
So, if your wardrobe is bursting at the seams with clothes about to be forgotten for the next 6 months, storing them may allow you to clear some space and focus on the things you can wear. Self-storage also means you can get things out of sight without having to throw anything away.
They’ll simply be safe and secure for when the warmer seasons come back around once again or for when you are ready to move back into your home.
Figuring out how to put clothes in storage couldn’t be easier in 2022, and Xtra Space are here to provide you with clothing storage solutions.